Apply for the Dr. Jack Shaheen Mass Communications Scholarship! The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) is offering scholarships of $2,500 in honor of Dr. Jack G. Shaheen for Arab American students who excel in Media Studies.
Undergraduate Juniors and Seniors, as well as Graduate Students majoring in Journalism, Radio, Television, and/or Film are eligible to apply. Click here to learn more and apply.
For those interested in applying, please submit hard copies of the following by Monday, April 12th, 2021:
- A one-page statement explaining why you merit the scholarship, your goals, how Jack Shaheen’s work influences your career, and a declaration that you are a U.S. citizen of Arab heritage
- Two (2) original signed letters of recommendation from Mass Communications professors.
- Copies of your articles, DVD’s, films, and so forth (these items will not be returned to you)
- Official academic transcripts (minimum 3.0 GPA)
- Your permanent home address, phone number, e-mail address, and your phone number during the school year, if different
Dr. Shaheen (1935-2017) is an internationally recognized author and media critic who wrote the award-winning book and film, Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People. He has consulted with the United Nations and the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division and has been featured on numerous national network programs such as National Public Radio, CNN, MSNBC and The Today Show.